During the ID@Xbox Twitch gaming showcase, Artisan Studios revealed the trailer for their newest project: the hand-drawn JRPG Astria Ascending.
Astria Ascending was developed in partnership with publisher Dear Villagers and features contributions from JRPG developers, with a score by Hitoshi Sakimoto (Final Fantasy 12, Vagrant Story), narrative by Kazushige Nojima (Final Fantasy 10, Final Fantasy 7 Remake), and art from CyDesignation (Akihiko Yoshida and Hideo Minaba).
The game is set in a world where chaos looms, and finds you taking control of the Demigods. This crew of eight heroes is charged with the fate of the world. Each character has their own story, explored across five cities, 25 dungeons, and 30 to 50 hours of gameplay.
Along with the tuned turn-based combat, players can try out some side quests and mini-games, including an original fantasy-themed token game.
“In Astria Ascending we wanted to explore how people cope in extraordinary times’, said Artisan Studio’s game director Julien Bourgeois. “Each hero has their own perspective, but it’s the relationships they form with one another that truly brings the story to life.”
“Seeing this world come together has been a delight,” added Guillaume Jamet, head of publishing for Dear Villagers. “And it’s an honor to have so many legends on the team helping out – like a childhood dream come true. Astria Ascending is more than an homage to the classics. It’s the perfect next step in our publishing line of ambitious JRPGs.”
Here’s more about the game:
- Epic tales: Fight for the future while you reckon with the past; sacrifice everything, relinquish nothing. The story of Astria Ascending was developed in part by writer Kazushige Nojima, known for his work on Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy VII Remake.
- Living landscapes: Travel the world of Orcanon, a richly imagined and fully animated 2D landscape with five cities and a dynamic weather system.
- Unforgettable characters: Pick from eight customizable player characters spanning a range of fantastical races and skills, and assemble a diverse team of heroes.
- Rewarding combat: Work together to save the world, waging strategic turn-based battles using the innovative focus point system.
- A treat for the ears: With music and SFX from composer Hitoshi Sakimoto (Final Fantasy XII, Valkyria Chronicles), Astria Ascending is a heart-swelling joy to listen to.
The game is coming to PC, Switch, PlayStation 5 and 4, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, and Game Pass in 2021.
The post Astria Ascending is a hand-drawn JRPG coming to PC and consoles appeared first on VG247.